Company Name: Halligan’s Fitness Personal Training
Company Address: PO Box 585 Robina DC, QLD 4226
Phone Number: (0404) 046-431
1) Can you tell us a little bit about you as a personal trainer and the services, training you offer to your clients?
I have 20 years experience and have trained people in the USA, UK, Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne and the Gold Coast. I train in 1hour and 1/2Hour sessions, targeted for mainly for weight loss, however I also train clients for Strength gain, to strengthen their bones, rehabilitation and for sporting related goals.
2) What’s the history behind your passion for personal training, how did you get started training people?
I wanted to help others to feel good when they look at themselves in the mirror, I remember when I first got back to Australia after training overseas for 3 years, I went to put an ad in the Yellow Pages and the sales lady that was selling me the advertisement told me that she could not look at herself in the mirror anymore, I asked her to meet with me and 8 weeks later she had lost 14 kilos and had fit into a dress she had not worn in 25 years, this for me was the one event that kept me in the Fitness Industry all of those years ago.
3) It seems that as Australian’s we keep trying to get fitter, but not too many out there manage to achieve their goals. What is the secret behind a successful personal training program?
Consistency, consistency, consistency! It is like a snowball rolling down a mountain, it needs to gather momentum, once you are on track and you start to see change, whether it is weight loss, tone, feeling better or strength
etc you will then be spurred on by the results and by people giving you compliments. This is when you start to become unstoppable, just remember “Rome was not built in a day”. Do something everyday even if it is saying “NO” to that bowl of ice cream, or it may be deciding and then going for a 5 to 30 minute walk, just do something positive every day toward achieving your goal and learn how to say “NO” to the things that you know will derail you on your mission to achieve your goal.
4) Personal training is surely not just about “doing exercise”, what can you tell us about the physiological part behind any training? How important is the motivation and the mind set?
The mind set is the most important thing for the achievement of any goal, to firstly start on your journey, to then have the strength to stay on target and to complete what you have set out to do
5) What makes a good personal trainer?
Qualifications, Experience, Being Personable, Understanding, Passionate and Being a motivator!
6) Tell us a little bit about your personal training sessions and classes, what type of training can someone expect while working out with you?
To work at a comfortable level, to be understood, to be pushed a little further every session, but at the same time not to be sick from being pushed to the absolute maximum (I do not believe in this kind of training at all). I do circuit training or strength training exercises.
7) How important is nutrition in the path to achieve any personal training goal?
It is very important, I am the only Personal trainer that Weight Watchers has referred to for the past 10 years on the Gold Coast and I believe that it is all about input (what food you put in your mouth) and output (what volume of exercise you do). If your input is greater than your output you will put on weight and if your output is greater than your input you will lose weight, it is that simple.
8.) We all know there are many personal trainers out there, what do we need to ask to a personal trainer before starting a program, how can we guarantee we are a good match to work together?
What Qualifications do they hold? (Degree, Diploma, Certificate III or IV), Are they registered with Fitness Australia? Are they insured? How long have they been a Personal Trainer?
9) What is a normal day in your life as a personal trainer?
I get up early and the first thing I do is to exercise for about 15 minutes to start my day (everyday of the year) and then I get on with my day, on work days I start early training my clients and then I usually train until roughly 10am and then I do work for Rebel Sport as their Business Development Manager for South East QLD and then later in the day approximately 2pm I start training again until around 8pm, then have dinner and then write programs for the following day (Pretty Full On)
10) Can you tell us about a personal training success story that can inspire us? Maybe one of your students? Maybe your own?
I have had many success stories with clients as I have been in the industry for so long like the lady from Yellow Pages that lost 14 kilos in 8 weeks. I have also had a lady that could not get up off the floor without someone
helping her up and after 12 weeks she could get up without anyone helping her up or even without using her hands to push her up off the floor. I also had another lady that could not touch her toes and she had not been able to for her whole life and she was 40 years old and after 14 weeks she could touch her toes for the first time in her life.
11) Now, for the last question… we invite you to plug your personal training service. What makes you a Top Personal Trainer? What message do you want to send to anyone reading this and thinking of contacting you to start their personal training program?
Steven is considered one of the best in the business when it comes to the Fitness Industry, Motivation and getting results; he has worked with people over the past 20 years helping them to achieve their goals. Steven has travelled the world extensively, climbed mountains, hitch hiked through Africa and worked in the United Kingdom and the USA as a trainer and mentor to the stars.
Steven has written articles in the Courier Mail, the Gold Coast Sun, the Gold Coast Bulletin, Oz Fitness Journal, Results Magazine and This Month Magazine. Steven has changed people’s lives on the Gold Coast, Brisbane,
Melbourne, Sydney, London, Los Angeles and San Francisco. He is the only Personal Trainer referred to by Weight Watchers on the Gold Coast and also the preferred trainer for REBEL SPORT on the Gold Coast. Steven has trained
elite athletes, sporting teams, celebrities and corporate groups around the world. Steven is renowned for achieving accelerated RESULTS!